Friday, November 7, 2014

Trip to the US


For Grant's fall break he flew to Iowa to duck hunt with Kevin (married to our niece, Amanda).  Our skeet shooting practice in The Netherlands must have paid off because he bagged one.  He and Kevin had a great time shooting ducks and targets.  Thanks, Kevin, for hosting him.



I decided to fly with Grant to the US.  But instead of shooting I went shopping.  Mom needed a new car so Tom & I took her around to try them all.  She decided on a Subaru Forester.  It's great; easy to get in and out of and lots of gadgets.  She may not get full use of all the gadgets but so far Mom really likes it.  It was fun to shop with someone else's money.



We had some beautiful fall weather and the leaves were just beginning to turn.  I planted this tree about 35 years ago.   Although it may be a little lopsided, it's doing pretty well.


We made our usual family trek to Gansons for dinner.  I had the Rock Island Rocket, a steak burger with all the normal stuff plus roasted poblano peppers, chipolte sauce and fritos on top. 



We always try a new restaurant when I'm home.  This time it was a Mexican restaurant in Cordova. Tom and Mom had tacos and I had a chili relleno.  Who knew that Cordova, a river town of 600 people and one nuclear power plant,  could have a good Mexican restaurant?


You knew it was a classy restaurant when you saw the Shell brand out front.  

The Quad Cities has a great path along both sides of the river for biking, running, walking, etc.  One morning I ran across the Government Bridge which connects Rock Island with Davenport, Iowa by way of Arsenal Island.  The pedestrian lane is made of expanded steel so that you can see the Mississippi River below you as you cross.



Let me indulge in a little bridge history.  The current bridge is the fourth at this location.  The first was built in 1856 and was the first railroad crossing of the Mississippi River.  The bridge was built in a section of difficult rapids so steamboats were afraid of hitting it -- which of course they did two weeks after the bridge opened.   They sued the railroads.  The lawyer for the railroads was Illinois homeboy, Abraham Lincoln.   Lincoln was reported to be very well prepared when the case was tried and very verbose.  His closing arguments lasted two days.  The jury debated for two hours, but could not reach a decision.  The bridge stayed.    And Abe went on to bigger things.  


One final stop in the Quad Cities was Stones Apple Barn.  

On Thursday I flew to see Kate in New Jersey.  My flight left at 5:00 am!  Surprisingly the plane was full.    

Kate, Doug and I had a great meal at Due Meri.  If I don't look quite as happy as Kate, it's because I strained my back earlier that day trying to do yoga with her.  

This is elephant trunk, the yoga pose I was doing when I hurt by back.  
This is the next stage of the pose.  Kate can do this.  I don't even try.  

This is how I feel when I do yoga.  Most of the time I do it at home where no one can see me.  

No trip to New Jersey is complete without visiting Delicious Orchards.  Apple cider donuts plus apple cider.  




No comments:

Post a Comment