Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Happy Mardi Gras

Grant's school celebrated international day on the Friday before Mardi Gras.  People were supposed to bring food native to their country, so he and I baked a King Cake.  Actually I baked and he frosted.  I wouldn't call my first attempt at yeast breads an overwhelming success; it's a good thing that middle schoolers aren't too picky when it comes to sweets. 


It wasn't pretty but it tasted good.

While we were setting up the lunch, I noticed that 2-3 Norwegian women brought waffles.  I hadn't realized that waffles were a Norwegian staple, but a quick visit to the internet revealed that "Waffles are a Norwegian tradition.  Not a week goes by in a Norwegian home without a waffle being eaten."  Sounds like my kind of country. 

Kate's Mardi Gras was a little more exciting -- she went to New Orleans to celebrate the real thing!  Now that Mardi Gras is over, we're into Lent.   Since many people "give up" something, i.e. candy, Facebook, etc., during these 40 days, some of you may have wondered if I've given up blogging for Lent.  Not to worry, the Jordan trip will be posted soon. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment