Thursday, December 2, 2010

Winter is Here

We've had snow twice this week, which is early for Holland.  All together we have probably received an inch or two so we're not exactly drifted in.  However, it does impact transportation.  During the first snow on Monday evening, Holland set a national record for traffic jams.  The government actually measures the length of slowed and stopped traffic on major highways and tallies it up for morning and evening rush hours.  Normal is around 200 km.  On Monday night there were 880 km of traffic jams.  Just as a comparison, driving the entire country from south to north is about 340 km. 

The Dutch strategy to deal with a snow like this is to salt the main roads and ignore all the others.  Consequently, our road is pretty slick, which I noticed this morning as I skidded past our gate while trying to turn in. 


Graber spent the entire morning playing in the snow.

I don't know what they do to the bike paths; they seem to be in better shape than the roads.  Although Grant has suspended all bike riding for the winter, the locals continue to ride no matter what the weather.  I thought I should give this a try so today I rode my bike to grocery shop in town.  Not only was this the first time I've ridden with snow on the ground, it was the first time I've ridden a bike while it was snowing.  I only had one near miss when I took a turn a little fast and the front wheel went out from under me.  I was warm enough but goggles would have been a definite improvement.  But I made it there and back.  Grant remains unimpressed.


The road in front of our home. 

Bike path to town.  Note how well cleared it is. 

Downtown Wassenaar.  Proof that others rode their bikes in the snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment