Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Happy Birthday Don!



Lori's parents, Don & Joan, are visiting this week.  Both of their families are originally from Holland so their first visit the the Fatherland has been special.  The visit has also been special because it was Don's 85th birthday.  Lori made a coconut meringue cake for the celebration.  This was the cake that she had hoped I would make for her birthday....but somehow I forgot.  I think she was over-estimating my cooking ability.  The cake was delicious.  I'd highly encourage others to come celebrate their birthdays with us, too. 

For you trivia buffs, Don and Queen Elizabeth were born on the same day.  We invited her to come have coconut cake, but I guess she was too busy getting ready for the big wedding. 

Happy Birthday Don!



Lori begins to put on the meringue.  It was made with 10 egg whites.  The recipe said that she might not need it all.  Small understatement. 

 
Even though Lori is an accomplished cook, a little supervision from her Father never hurts. 


The best way to get meringue peaks is to get messy



Torching the meringue



Don and Joan


No comments:

Post a Comment